What is a Godparent??

I've never really been sure what the role of a Godparent is, my God Mother passed away when i was very young, my God Father wasn't very involved in my life after my God mother passed away and my brothers have different God parents to me. So I've been reading about it a little bit and here's what I've found.

"Becoming a godparent is not a legal commitment and does not make you a legal guardian. Your role is more that of a supportive adult with a special interest in the development and upbringing of the child. Your own religious outlook and that of the child’s parents will determine your spiritual responsibilities. It is an honour and a blessing to become a godparent and some people take on the role a number of times, although we wouldn't recommend taking on as many as The Queen's Godchildren." (http://www.christeningsilver.com/the-god-parents-role)

My initial understaning seems to be correct, a God Parent is the person who is there for your children, to help teach and mould them, to guide them in the ways of God. To be there if they need someone to talk to. To mentor and encourage. The spoiling part is just an added bonus.

After all i've seen and found, all I can say is my children are very lucky to have the GodMother they do and there isnt anybody better suited than their GodMother. She spoils them rotten, loves them endlessly and is always there for them, she hasnt missed a birthday, she never lets them down, she moans at them when they pretend not to have manners and always makes time for them. Traditionally a child has 3 God parents, mine have just the one :) and she's more than they'll ever need.

Thank you Kerry for being so amazing to the children, you are such a blessing to them. You are exactly what we expected you to be and so much more to the children.

We love you lots.

"Im so glad you are my Godmother
Someone to hold my hand
A friend if I should need one
Who will love and understand
I just want to say "Thank-you"
As you really are the best
With you beside me through my life
I know that I"ve been Blessed"
  

Comments

Popular Posts